In our quote estimator, we provide different options for you to see the cost of self-publishing your specific book so you can get a customized quote right away. Our self-publishing cost calculator shows options for different categories of books and services that you might be interested in, so we can give you the most accurate estimate.
What is self-publishing?
Self-publishing a book means you, the author, publish your book independently from a traditional publishing company. In doing so, you are responsible for making all of the editorial, marketing, and design decisions and for covering the expenses of producing and publishing a book.
In short, you get to maintain complete creative control of the publishing process, but you must pay out of pocket for the services and production costs. While that might sound scary, with reliable professionals and services you can trust, self-publishing can be simple and affordable.
This is what makes Gatekeeper Press special: we provide the professional services you need to self-publish your book, but you get to keep 100% of the royalties and rights, making the publishing process as easy as possible.
So how much will self-publishing cost? This depends on your book and the services you are interested in. Let’s look at the self-publishing cost calculator to get a better understanding of what goes into the cost.
What options are shown in the quote estimator and what do they mean?
The quote estimator shows you different options that you can easily select to quickly tailor our quote to your book.
Below, we’ll go through each question in the self-publishing cost calculator to explain what each option and service means.
What type of book are you publishing?
- Children’s book
- Select this option for children’s picture or chapter books. Children’s books are their own category because they often require illustrations or special formatting, which can affect the self-publishing cost.
- All other books
- Select this option for books that are not children’s books, such as adult fiction, nonfiction, poetry books, etc.
Once you pick one of the above options, the next page is tailored to your response. First, we will look at the options that you can see ONLY if you select Children’s book and then options you will see ONLY if you select All other books. Below that will be the questions that are listed under both categories.
Children’s Book Options:
Children’s Book Options:
Are you in need of professional illustration for your book?
- • Yes
- Select this option if you are publishing a picture book or if you’d like illustrations to accompany your children’s book. Hiring a professional illustrator will improve the quality of your book but may affect the cost.
Are you in need of professional proofreading?
- Select this option if you would like a one-time review of your manuscript focusing on spelling, punctuation, grammar, sentence structure, etc.
The above completes the section of questions specific to the Children’s book option. Now let’s look at the options you will see if you select All other books.
All Other Book Options:
Are you in need of a professional edit?
- Yes, I would like a developmental edit.
- Select this option if you would like a two-time, in-depth review of your manuscript which includes a line edit/proofread. A developmental edit usually costs more than a line edit/proofread but provides a higher level of polish to your manuscript.
- Yes, I would like a line edit/proofread.
- Select this option if you are interested in a one-time review of your manuscript focusing on spelling, punctuation, grammar, sentence structure, etc.
- No, I do not need editorial services.
Are you in need of professional illustrations for your book?
- Select this option if you’d like custom illustrations for your manuscript. Our highly-talented illustrators can do virtually any style and we don’t stop working until you’re completely satisfied. Custom illustrations cost $250 per illustration.
Are you in need of graphic creation for your book (e.g. flowcharts, tables, graphs)?
- Select this option if you would like us to create custom graphics, such as flowcharts, tables, and graphs, for your manuscript. This option is great for nonfiction or educational manuscripts.
Options listed under both Children’s book and All other books:
The following questions can be seen under both categories.
Are you in need of our cover design services?
- Select this option if you are interested in having us create a 100% custom-made book cover design ($1,000) or an illustrated cover design ($1,500) for your manuscript.
- No, I am providing my own formatted cover file.
Are you publishing a paperback edition of your book?
- Select this option if you would like to publish a paperback edition of your book. We will lay out and design a professional book interior and make your book available for sale at all major book retailers. Includes free ISBN and barcode.
- No, I am not publishing a paperback edition.
Are you publishing a hardcover edition of your book?
- Select this option if you would like to publish a hardcover edition of your book. We will lay out and design a professional book interior and make your book available for sale at all major book retailers. Includes free ISBN and barcode.
- No, I am not publishing a hardcover edition.
Are you publishing an eBook edition of your book?
- Select this option if you would like to publish an eBook edition. We can create eBooks with a fixed layout, reflowable text layout, or eBooks with video or audio enhancements, and we can provide eBook distribution services to make your eBook available with the most prominent eBookstores. Includes free ISBN.
- No, I am not publishing an eBook edition.
Would you like your book published under your own imprint/publisher name?
- Yes, I would like to publish my book under my own imprint.
- Select this option to list your own name or company as the publisher of your book. The cost to publish under your own imprint is $100, but this amount is credited back to you if you publish more than one book with us.
- No, I would like Gatekeeper Press to be listed as the publisher.
Do you need Copyright or LCCN Registration?
- Yes, I need a US Copyright Registration.
- Select this option if you need US copyright registration. Gatekeeper will add a copyright page to your book, and you claim that copyright simply by publishing your book.
- Yes, I need a LCCN Registration.
- Select this option if you need LCCN registration. LCCNs are unique identifiers used by libraries to catalog books. Although LCCNs are helpful for libraries that accept your book, you don’t need one to get your book into libraries. If you want an LCCN, Gatekeeper can file an application with the Library of Congress on your behalf. This service costs $50.
- Yes, I need both a US Copyright and LCCN Registration.
- Select this option for both US Copyright and LCCN Registration.
- No, I do not need either a Copyright or LCCN Registration.
Do you need this project expedited?
- Yes, I need this project expedited.
- Select this option to have all file-creation services time frames cut in half. A surcharge of 50% will apply for these services.
- No, I do not need this project expedited.
- Select this option to have your project completed under the stated time frames for all services.
After completing the above questions and you’ve clicked on your selected answers, you will be asked to fill out a form with your name and email address so we can send you a customized quote.
What are you waiting for?
Publish the book of your dream with Gatekeeper Press! If you haven’t already, figure out your self-publishing cost by completing our quote estimator now! If you’d like to talk to a professional at Gatekeeper Press, schedule a free consultation with our publishing expert Tony Chellini.